Friday, March 26, 2010

Career Day!





I was invited by fellow Murrow H.S. alum, Danielle Tricardo Monock, to speak to her kids at M.S. 137 in Ozone Park, NY for Career Day on March 19th, 2010. I've never spoken at Career Day before, since in the past whenever I've been invited, I've had to work (Disney managerial responsibilities!). But now, since I'm basically a freelancer actress/singer/entertainer/etc... I can do whatever I want! I was paired with another Murrow H.S., Penny Soden, who's a CPA. We went into various classrooms and spoke to the kids, and she went first, because she figured that being an accountant is boring, and it's much more interesting to be a singer/actress (though by the end of the day, I almost wanted to be an accountant! Too bad I suck at numbers!). We spoke to 6th, 7th and 8th graders. There were some classes where the kids were really really into getting info on show biz, while some repeated the same questions over and over again because they weren't paying attention (didn't we ALL go through a phase like that in some point in our lives???). Obviously, I couldn't get TOO in-depth, since these were still kids who were in middle school, but some had good questions, and some asked me how they could become "famous" like me. HAHA! I even had to sign autographs at the end of some of the classes I presented in, and some classes made me sing (I was soooo sick, but had like any ready, willing and able performer, I did my thing)! Overall, I hope that I made an impact on the youth of America, and guide these kids in the path toward the right direction. Some were really interested, and I was able to speak a little more about what it takes to try to get into this business, and also let them know that I'm fairly new to it as well, and I've been booking so much work because I'm committed, dedicated, and passionate about what I do. Of course, I also stressed the importance of EDUCATION, so the kids won't drop out of school to pursue their "dreams" of "becoming famous." Hopefully I made a difference!

1 comment: